Click below and Google will call you to connect you to my voicemail! Numbers are always private.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Seth's Birth (Part 1)

We are still in the hospital, but I've managed to get Joseph to hook his phone up to my computer as a modem so I could share Seth's birth story and a bajillion some pictures with you. (Actually, as of posting this we're finally home!)

First of all I want to thank everyone for your prayers. As you read Seth's birth story you will realize how valuable your prayers truly were. I truly believe it was your fervent prayers and love that saved Seth's (an possibly my own) life. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

I awoke at 3am Monday morning to contractions. "This can't be labor", I said to myself, "I'm just having those same old contractions I've been having for the last two months"... But these felt different, and I knew it. They were starting in the middle of my back and wrapping around my belly and were coming regularly at about 8 minutes apart. Even with me changing positions and trying to go back to sleep they persisted.

Around 4am I was pretty uncomfortable and decided to get a shower. I thought maybe that would space the contractions out and I was hoping the heat of the water would help alleviate the feeling that a whole circus of elephants was dancing pain in my lower back. No such luck. Actually standing up in the shower made them worse. (At this point I'm in denial that I'm in true labor although I already knew I was.)

Long morning short and a ton of Lord, I'm not ready for this's later I finally call Celia at six something in the morning and tell her I think I may be in labor. Of course, when I had to stop talking every four minutes to get through a contraction, she told me I really should go wake Joseph up and go to the hospital... So wake Joseph up I did and we made our way to drop the children off before heading to the hospital.

As we made our way into the front doors I remember saying to myself, "Here we go again, I'm going to leave here embarrassed because there will be no baby born and people are going to wonder how I can't tell what labor is after getting ready to deliver my fourth child". I just could not see myself being admitted and hearing the words "Yup, your in labor".

And then there was the big debate with my doctor over lung maturity verses Seth being safer outside of me. You see, when I came in and was hooked to the monitor, Seth had three decels in a row with my contractions. It alarmed my doctor enough that he discussed taking Seth even though he might need help breathing because it indicated my placenta was not functioning properly. We joined hands and Dr. Joy prayed with us to ask the Lord to guide us in making a decision. And we were all on the same page. We had an overwhelming feeling that Seth needed to come and that it couldn't wait until Sunday.

Dr. Joy and I agreed that we would let labor progress as slow as possible so the contractions could give Seth's lungs time to mature through out the process. We decided to only strip my membranes because it would only help things along if I were in true labor. Well, it worked. My contractions started getting more intense and I dilated another half centimeter between cervical exams. I was being admitted!

Can I just say (not entirely off subject, but not so importantly) that these rooms are huge! Seriously, you have to see this...


Joseph and I both were amazed when we were brought to our actual laboring room. We've stayed in hotels that weren't anywhere near as nice. It was a huge jump from the little broom closet they stick you in before you are actually admitted!

Anyways, back to the birth story...

My labor went really slow. I was so frustrated when they checked me after hours of having contractions 2-2.5 minutes apart and my cervix had only dilated to 3.5 centimeters. Hello, didn't my body know that this was my fourth baby and that it was supposed to progress faster than this? Looking back, I think because I had back labor and was so tense my body just wasn't able to progress well...

Dr. Joy came in sometime after 7pm and broke my water and then he strongly advised me to get the epidural in the event that I needed an emergency c-section because I was attempting a VBAC. I really wanted to have a completely natural birth like I had done with Eli, but I understood Dr. Joy's concern. If time were an issue and meant life or death for Seth, I wanted time to be on his side instead of against it.

After I got the epidural, things went fairly quickly. I dilated from 4 centimeters to 10 in a little less than two hours. When Dr. Joy checked my cervix shortly after 9pm and said it was time to push I was in utter disbelief that Seth was moments from being here... finally.

This is where the fun and the scary part of the story start.

First the fun...

Dr. Joy asks Joseph how much he is willing to participate in Seth's birth. Of course, Joseph replies with "as much as you'll let me", as Dr. Joy smirks and asks Joseph what size gloves he wears...

Then I see Joseph being dressed in disposable scrubs...

...And then he's plopped down on a stool right in front of me and asked how he'd feel about delivering his own son!

This was his face!

Followed by a proud grin as Joseph realizes the doctor is serious because Dr. Joy is helping the nurse hold my leg back and telling me to push! Of course, I had to take pictures! (Yes, even in labor the photographer inside of me can't let a great photo opt pass) The epidural had it's advantages!

Dr. Joy talked Joseph through what to do and lent a helping hand when needed, but Seth was literally delivered in about 4 pushes. And Joseph did it all. He delivered the head, suctioned out Seth's nose and mouth, delivered the rest of Seth's body, laid Seth on my belly, clamped and cut the cord... he did it all and it was an unbelievable birth experience.

Talk about a birth experience you will never forget!

It was what we found out afterwards that scared us...

Remember those decels when I was first hooked up to the monitor? Remember how Dr. Joy has been concerned about the health of my placenta the last couple of weeks? Well, we all had good reason to worry.

Apparently, my placenta ruptured.

A beautiful birth became frightening really quickly after Seth was born. As Seth came out, so did blood... lots of it. Joseph immediately looked at Dr. Joy and my doctor jumped right in with trying to get the placenta out. At this point I was the only one at risk, Seth was safe, but there was still the possibility of me hemorrhaging. Joseph asked the doctor if I would be okay and he said yes and told Joseph to go to the warmer with Seth. He started barking orders for the nurse to start medicine in my IV to help deliver the placenta quickly. And then he pulled... and pushed... and yanked... and did some other not so pleasant things until the placenta was out and I was no longer in danger.

He talked to us afterwards and told us if we had all not made the decision to have Seth on this day that we would have been meeting our son as a stillborn. There was no way he would have made it to Sunday. With that, we joined hands and thanked God for his guidance and the blessing of Seth's life.

There is still more to share, but I think I'm going to do this in parts because I have so much to share. So, the most important thing for me was to let let you fully realize how much your prayers impacted our family on Monday. I truly believe my son was placed into my arms alive because God heard and answered all the prayers being said for Seth. There is no way I can thank you enough for the love you've sent our way. And to leave on a really good note until my next post about the rest of our hospital stay, here's some picture of Joseph and I finally getting to cuddle on our sweet little guy!


Photobucket

27 comments:

Holly said...

Oh my goodness, Danielle! I am so glad that God answered the many prayers being said for you and Seth. I am thankful that he brought Seth safely to your arms and kept you safe also.

Emmy said...

Oh, Danielle! He's beautiful. God is certainly good!

Ashley D said...

Such an awesome and memorable birth story, not any person gets to do something so neat like that. Im glad he got to do that.
As for the rest, you gave me goosebumps. It's amazing how prayers can make you move miles and how your body just knew. I am so so so happy that you went to the hospital and delivered that night. I couldn't bear to watch you go through more heartache.
Just know I am over the moon for you all!

trennia said...

Amazing,Praise the Lord and pitures are beautiful!

With Out My Punkin said...

I have chills and tears streaming down my face. I am SO SO happy that Seth is here safe and you are safe as well. Sending you lots of hugs.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Danielle, he is beautiful. What a scare, I can't even imagine and I am thankful that God was with Seth all the way. I was watching every update and praying all day. How wonderful that your husband got to deliver him. Congratulations!!

The Blue Sparrow said...

Wow, that is amazing about having made the right decision! Praise God that you guys prayed about it! He is so stinkin cute! Congrats!!!

Unknown said...

What an amazing story! So, so thankful that God kept Seth safe and brought him into his daddy's arms when he did.

katie said...

wow, I'm glad you guys are doing okay! I think Seth looks like Ainsley :)

Lighthouse Photography said...

What an amazing God we serve! Your son is beautiful and I am so happy you are holding him in your arms warm and safe right now!

Elizabeth said...

Thank God for a beautiful, healthy baby. I'm so happy for you. *hugs*

Mary said...

Danielle, I am extremely happy that everyone is home safe. I found myself still praying while reading your story. May you continue to be blessed. Can't wait to hear more.

Sarita Boyette said...

What an AMAZING Godly doctor to pray with you,and I'm so thankful for all our prayers to be answered! Praise God that you and Seth are alive and well.I am glad Joseph got to deliver his beautiful
living son.I'm so happy you are both safe after the birth!

COUNTRY MOM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...

What a beautiful and amazing story of how God's hands were guiding you all. I am thrilled beyond words for you. What a beautiful boy he is! Congrats!!

Cori said...

Amazing story..I can't wait to read the rest. I checked your blog over and over to see if you had him on Monday...:) Sooo happy that you are Seth are safe!

God is AMAZING!

Franchesca said...

Oh Danielle! What a miracle! The ENTIRE story!!!! It made me want to cry just to realize how God guided you guys to deliver when you did. My goodness, I am just so happy for you!!! Enjoy your little man :) He's adorable :)

Gwendolyn said...

You have brought tears to my eyes, I am over myself reading how god works in ways that we don't even know but your story just makes me believe even more in Prayers!!! So happy for you and your entire family, Baby Seth is georgeous!

Nati @ I will praise Him said...

He's beautiful!

Praise God!

sfretwell said...

Praise God! Thanks for sharing your amazing story.

Sally said...

What a wonderful story! I am covered with chill bumps and tears in my eyes! I have been following your blog for a while now and have kept you and your wonderful family in my prayers. Congratulations Danielle! What a precious blessing:)

MaryBeth said...

i just love the picture of your husband when he finds out he's going to deliver! congrats to you, and he's just beautiful!

PJ Pumphrey said...

Wow. So glad that you and Seth are ok!! Sounds like we both had a bot in common, as we were close to losing our little Asa also. God is so good!!!!! He is precious, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

Jess said...

What a perfect little bundle of cuteness he is, Danielle! I'm so glad that everyone made the right decision in getting Seth here safely!! I know God was definitely guiding him lovingly into this world and helping you and the dr. decide what to do! I'm so happy that it all turned out so beautifully. Congratualtions!!!

Caroline said...

I'm so glad everything worked out and Seth was just great. God is Good. I prayed and blogged and put it on my facebook status. Had lots of people praying in Ohio and everywhere. I cried so hard when I found out Seth was here. So glad you and Seth were ok. God was right there with you.

{{HUGS}}
Caroline

COUNTRY MOM said...

Danielle, Thank You so much for sharing your birth story. I read it, through many tears. I know you said you have more to add to the story... I look forward to reading it. I have prayed for you and Seth many times. I am so glad that you have your blessing, and you both are safe. God is Awesome... Many Blessings to you and your family.

MRS. HAIRSTON said...

Sorry I am just catching up on the whole thing. :) That is an amazing birth story and I loved Josephs face and the fact you are taking pictures while you are giving birth. Praise God you listened to your body and God telling you it was time :) He is gorgeous! :)