Click below and Google will call you to connect you to my voicemail! Numbers are always private.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Update from Last Week

Things have been pretty trying here this last week to say the least. Before I scare any of you, Seth is absolutely fine! With that said, I'll just jump into what has been going on.

My appointment last Thursday (May 13th) I was put on medication to stop contractions because I am having them roughly every 4 minutes. Before you freak out, let me just say that I have done this with each of my normal healthy pregnancies and I've made it to term (at least 37 weeks) before my babies have made their appearance.

The problem with the medications they use to stop the contractions is less than ideal however. As you know, I've been having some minor heart issues that have been causing me to pass out. Not so big of a deal except that my blood pressure bottoms out on me and my resting heart rate is really high. So how does this effect me while I'm on the medication for my contractions?

The two options I have for stopping contractions is by taking a shot of terbutaline (which makes my heart beat so fast they worry I'll have a heart attack) or the option we've chosen to go with..., which is putting me on a blood pressure medicine called procardia that can also stop contractions. The problem with this option is that my blood pressure is bottoming out already, on top of being on this medication now, it's making me really dizzy and I've been having more spells where I almost pass out.

My cardiologist showed me a trick at my appointment to keep me from passing out that requires me to cross and bend my knees while leaning forward slightly and compressing my fists into the center of my chest. It helps blood flow return to normal somehow and it's been working like a charm. However, right after I was put on the blood pressure medication to stop my contractions, I had a bit of an accident that resulted in me breaking my knee cap! So of course, with a broken knee cap, I can't bend my knee, put any type of weight on it, and most certainly can't cross my legs!

And for those of you wondering how I managed to break my knee, let's just say it involved spilled ice by one of my sweet children that I thought I had cleaned up. I apparently missed a spot, slipped, and fell with all my weight landing on my left knee! I've been taking tylenol for pain because I don't want to risk hurting Seth by taking something stronger. I'm really thankful (it happened a weeks ago today) that my knee had finally stopped throbbing all the time unless I overdo it. I see the orthopedic doctor again in about two weeks. So far I won't require surgery on my knee (I broke it in just the right spot), I'll just need time to let my knee heal.

So, I'm having dizzy spells (which the anemia and blood pressure medicine doesn't help with), my leg is in a brace, and I'm on crutches at 8 months pregnant! My life is all kinds of fun right now!

I really hope this post doesn't sound like I'm complaining. I'm actually really okay because Seth is doing beautifully through all this. Joseph and I have actually been able to laugh about this! It's really quite funny to see me and my big belly gimping around on crutches. We were both actually about in tears last night when I mentioned that I was going stir crazy and wanted to go to Wal-Mart just to get out of the house and maybe get a few things to pack in my hospital bag. That's not the funny part... there was mention of me in a scooter (scary) as a way of getting around the store instead of my crutches and how I'd have to get a picture to post on here so you all could share in my embarrassment. If any of you know anything about my driving, you'd be rolling on the floor right now too!

The good news? My contractions have stopped and Seth is healthy in spite of my mishaps.

The puzzler? I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to "walk" on Wyatt's birthday for his memory walk... and I'm still trying to figure out the logistics of how to deliver a baby when you can't bend your knee!

And really, there is no bad news. Just a couple of set backs as we get closer to finally meeting little man.

Photobucket

7 comments:

Franchesca said...

Oh my goodness, Danielle, you are too cute! At least you have an awesome sense of humor :)

Pete wouldn't let me go to wal-mart with him either unless I rode around in a scooter! (i was in bed rest at home at this point, but was also getting stir crazy)... definitely share pics if you decide to hop in a scooter! ;}

I am glad that baby Seth is doing just fine! praise God! Can't wait to 'meet' your little man!

xx

With Out My Punkin said...

I am chuckling with you. I am glad that everyone is ok. Hope that you are able to continue to control your passing out, that's no fun!

Cori said...

Aww **Hugs** I hope things get better for you..even though things are not too bad :) ha! You are a trooper..I know you will be fine!

Elizabeth said...

Praying for you. *hugs*

Holly said...

Oh my goodness gracious! What a time it's been for you! Do you know of anyone that has a scooter or golf cart you could use for Wyatt's walk? Glad the knee is feeling better and hopefully there are no more spills!

Caroline said...

Praying for you always. {{HUGS}}
Caroline

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. You poor thing. Thank God you didn't fall on your belly. And I'm glad Seth is doing good. My prayers are with you. (((Hugs)))