Click below and Google will call you to connect you to my voicemail! Numbers are always private.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Projects and Elephants

I have always wanted to learn how to sew. It seemed like such a practical skill to have. I was so disappointed in high school that they didn't offer Home Ec. or sewing classes. I've even tried to find places around the area that offered sewing classes to no avail.

So I took matters into my own hands and have been teaching myself through youtube videos how to sew. And I'm so glad I have! I'm really enjoying it. It's so neat to turn nothing but fabric into something useful.

I'm especially loving that I can turn Joseph's old polo shirts into shirts for Eli and you can't even tell it used to be a mans shirt! And it melts my heart a little bit to see Joseph's old shirts on his mimi me. I swear Eli is Joseph's clone 20 years later. Anyways, he's Eli wearing one of Joseph's repurposed shirts...

I've also taken one of Joseph's old dress shirts and turned it into a dress for Ansley! (Don't worry, Joseph still has clothes to wear. These were shirts that were destined for Goodwill)

Here's the before. (Sorry, I had already started hacking away before I thought to take a picture)

And the after.

But I wasn't thrilled. It was too plain for my little diva. So I made some fabric rose embellishments and a coordinating headband and Voila!

I couldn't have a happier 4 year old! She's already begging to wear her "beautiful daddy's shirt" to school tomorrow :)

I've also made some other skirts and dresses for Ansley. (I don't have pics of them all)

And I've tried my hand with some embellishing to make Seth this super cute tie onesie.


But my favorite of all is the skirt I made Ansley that I was able to make coordinating ties for all the boys. Yes, I made a tie for Eli, Seth, and Wyatt's elephant! Oh, and I also made a coordinating headband for Ansley. I can't wait to do a photo shoot in these! I'm thinking khaki pants with white shirts and the boys in their ties...


Next on my list are some tops for Ansley to wear to school and maybe an apron for yours truly. Either way, I'm a sewing machine! Ha. Get it? Sewing Machine. Me.

I know, I 'm really not that funny... I get points for trying though, right?!

Anyways, This is kind of off topic, but I wanted to share my growing elephant collection with you.
I've added this adorable tea pot.

This elephant statue.

And this set for sugar and creamer.

Hope you have a blessed day. Thanks for stopping by!

Photobucket

5 comments:

Traci Michele said...

SUPER CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to learn how to sew too!

If you would be so inclined, would you please pray for my sister in law:

http://ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2010/09/will-you-join-me-in-prayer-for-my.html

Holly said...

Wow, Danielle, you are doing a great job at sewing! I've wanted to learn to do all that stuff too but haven't. You've given me hope that maybe one day I can!! (if only I would take the time to actually do it!)

Sarita Boyette said...

You are doing a great job with sewing! I love how you have used things you already had to make clothes for your children. I believe you are a natural seamstress!
Love all the elephants, too, and the ties (especially Wyatt's tie for his elephant).
I saw a cute, simple elephant stuffed toy the other day on A Mommy's Blessings blog and thought about you.
Seth's shirt is too cute!

Caroline said...

I love it !! All so cute !!
I love the elephant collection too.
Great job there.

Caroline

Nati @ I will praise Him said...

Wow, this is super cute! I can't believe you taught yourself!

Would you email me your adress? I have something I would love to send you all the way from Germany ;-)